Mycotoxins are defined as toxic substances produced by fungi, mold, and yeast. When ingested, they can cause a lot of damage to humans and animals, especially those who already have health issues.
Below, we’ll delve a bit deeper into these substances and reveal how you can recognize, avoid, and prevent them from appearing in your home.
Where Do Mycotoxins Appear?
Since they come from mold, mycotoxins appear in any warm, dark, and damp environment. In addition, they can be found near organic food sources, making them regular occurrences in kitchens and pantries.
In most cases, you’ll find these substances near or on:
- Fresh fruits (especially sweet apples)
- Dried fruit
- Coffee beans
How Can You Recognize Signs of Mycotoxin Exposure?
Depending on your age and overall health, mycotoxins can affect people differently. Still, there are some general symptoms you can look for if you suspect you’re dealing with exposure.
- Chronic fatigue
- Mood swings, anxiety, depression
- Rashes and eczema
- Persistent headaches
- Candida overgrowth
- Brain fog
- Memory loss
- Shortness of breath
- Persistent sinus infections
It is important to note that these symptoms are not the same as those caused by an allergic reaction to mold. However, mold and mycotoxins usually appear together, making them difficult to differentiate. That is why it’s important to visit your doctor as soon as you notice any abnormalities so that they can pinpoint the cause and give you the appropriate medication.
Avoiding and Preventing Mycotoxins
Although eliminating mycotoxins is important, it is even more essential to learn how to prevent them from appearing in the first place. Here are some tips that can help you:
- Inspect all your fruit and dried goods for mold or any signs of decay
- Throw away food as soon as you notice it’s spoiled
- Try to always purchase fresh foods only
- Store your food in dry and insect-free spaces
- Don’t keep food in your pantry past its expiry date
Mold Prevention Is Essential
Seeing that mycotoxins come from mold, it’s pivotal to prevent the source as well. So, if you notice any black, green, yellow, or transparent patches on your walls, it’s important to act quickly.
Even though it is possible to deal with a mold infestation on your own, it is still better to ask a professional for help. At Mold Solutions, we have the equipment and resources necessary to deal with all types of mold effectively.
So, if you experience any of the symptoms above and you suspect mold and mycotoxins are the cause, give us a call. We’ll schedule a screening and ensure your home becomes a safe and healthy environment once again.