If there is a common annoyance shared by homeowners around the world, it has to be the appearance of bathroom mold.
Nobody wants to go into their bathroom only to discover gross, slimy mold growing on the bottom of their shower, curtain, in the grout of their tile or around their faucets. Unfortunately, it happens fairly often as bathrooms are prime real estate for mold. The good news in all of this is that while the mold that typically shows up there is black or dark green, it’s most likely not the toxic black mold that seems to be a headliner in the news these days.
I do have good news though. I’m here to help you come up with an action plan for that unwanted houseguest who spends way too much time in your bathroom.
Bathroom Mold: Is it Toxic Black Mold?
Bathroom mold often shares a very unfortunate likeness to that of black mold in the sense that it’s black. This usually sends people running for the hills because nobody wants to breathe in the spores from toxic black mold on a regular basis.
The good news is that it’s probably not that black mold.
The bad news is there’s no way to know unless you have it tested.
Toxic black mold isn’t a frequent visitor of household bathrooms unless they’ve had a leak go unnoticed for an extended period or if you’ve recently experienced a water event like a flood or burst pipe.
However, there’s no way to know for sure unless you have the mold tested. While it might be an extra expense you weren’t expecting, the peace of mind is worth it.
In the small chance, the mold is toxic, the removal process is something you’ll have to leave to the professionals. The personal protection equipment and testing technology they use allows them to remove the mold with little risk to their health.
Removing Bathroom Mold On Your Own
Most of the time we recommend mold remediation left to the professionals, but because bathroom mold is such a common pest, it’s one you’re fully capable of removing on your own.
I’m sure you’ve seen all of the special mold removal sprays in the cleaning aisles at your local grocery, but we have a secret that’s sure to thrill you and your wallet: they aren’t needed.
For one, it’s not healthy to breathe in chemicals all day long. Secondly, we have a solution that is much more budget-friendly, and you probably have on-hand.
A simple mixture of water, white vinegar, and baking soda make the perfect mold spray. Get an empty, clean spray bottle to make the mixture in and spray it on the mold and let it soak in. The natural acidity of the vinegar eats away at the mold while it soaks. After 10-15 minutes, wipe away the mold with warm and soapy water.
The mold is gone, and you weren’t stuck breathing in the smell of bleach or Tilex all day. As an extra precaution, spray the vinegar mixture on the area where the mold was growing and this time let it dry without wiping it away. This adds an extra layer of protection to help keep the mold away.
Calling in the Professionals
If your bathroom mold removal project is too overwhelming or if you don’t feel like dealing with it yourself, contact us!
We can help you come up with a plan that works with your lifestyle and schedule. Our team of certified professionals is more than willing to answer any questions you might have. Contact us today!