Mold can cause a variety of symptoms in different people, but the symptoms are very similar to other illnesses and this makes it hard to diagnose.
I’m sure you’ve seen the coverage in the media about mold lately and none of it is good, but it’s important to know that not everyone is allergic to it and won’t exhibit any symptoms at all. Plus, since everyone exhibits a different range of symptoms, it’s not as serious for some people.
Let’s go over some of the most common symptoms of mold exposure as we learn more about the issues mold can cause.
Mold Exposure Symptoms
Hay Fever-Like Symptoms
When you suffer from a bout of hay fever, you’re plagued with a runny nose, sneezing, itchy, watery eyes and a scratchy throat. The bonus side to hay fever is you probably only have these symptoms when the seasons change or when the grass or pollen count in your area is exceptionally high.
Now, imagine if you suffered from this year-round. While it’s not excruciating pain, it still hinders your ability to go about your day and complete your daily routine.
In Kentucky, we have a lengthy allergy season and as someone who suffers horribly from hay fever, I can attest to how much it can ruin your day. I basically have to accept the fact that I’m going to resemble Sloth from The Goonies for a few days and wait for my meds to kick in.
If you’re dealing with mold exposure, you don’t have the luxury of only experiencing the symptoms a few times a year. If you live in a house with mold, once you begin to experience the symptoms, you’ll most likely suffer with them until the mold is removed.
Other people have more serious symptoms. The biotoxins that molds release into the air can cause shortness of breath, wheezing and tightening of the chest.
Coughing and wheezing are problems many people don’t take too seriously (as most of the time they aren’t anything to worry about) but if you’re allergic to mold and your illness manifests in this way, it can lead to bigger problems down the road such as asthma. If you’ve experienced these symptoms for an extended period of time and suspect you might have mold growing in your home, you should see a doctor.
Solving the Problem
Mold is a sneaky trouble maker as it can grow in the smallest nooks and crannies of your house without you seeing it. All it needs is water and a feeding source and it can make itself at home for a longtime.
However, there are a few signs you can keep an eye (or nose) out for on your own.
If you’ve noticed your house feels muggy or humid sometimes, this means the moisture content in your home is too high and the air isn’t circulating properly. Check your vents and air ducts to make sure there’s no debris or dust blocking the pathways so you can get fresh air into your home while the stale air gets carried outside.
Use your nose to locate any areas with a musty odor. Mold has a very distinct smell and is almost always a sure sign you have mold growing somewhere in your home.
Check any areas where you have access to moisture such as your bathrooms, kitchen and laundry rooms. Check around your faucets and bathtubs to make sure there aren’t any leaks causing problems. Also look in your laundry room to verify your washing machine isn’t leaking and your dryer isn’t ramping up the humidity in the room.
Speaking of the laundry room, try and keep wet towels from piling up as mold can even feed on fabrics like towels and damp clothes. Always empty the washing machine and don’t let wet clothes sit in the machine for extended periods of time.
If you’ve done all of this and still suspect you have mold, but can’t find it, it’s time to call the professionals.
Mold Solutions has a team of certified professionals who are ready to answer any questions you might have. and we’ll help you devise a plan that works with your timeline and schedule. Let’s get you and your family back on the road to a healthier life and a mold-free home!
Photo by Kelly Sikkema on Unsplash