Having black mold in our homes is extremely unhealthy and can cause severe skin irritation and even respiratory problems. Some people are also allergic to it, and inhaling the spores can send them to the hospital.
So removing the mold and getting it out of our houses as soon as possible has to be our top priority. But what are the dos and don’ts of getting rid of black mold? Can we actually mess it up and make the problem worse?
What to Do
The best way to figure out how to fight mold is to learn what causes it. To start, mold needs a dark and damp place to grow. Also, it needs oxygen and warmth because the fungus can’t grow in freezing temperatures. But the biggest thing that’ll determine whether or not we’ll see mold in your home is if we have a moisture problem.
Fix the Source of Moisture
First things first, we have to find the leak in our home and repair it as soon as possible. Once we find and repair the source of moisture, we can stop the mold from growing further.
Dry and Clean the Area
Now that we have no more leaks, we need to dry and clean the entire area around it. If we can, it’s best to open windows and let the dry air inside. But if the weather conditions aren’t right, we can also use some industry-grade dehumidifiers. Even though it might take a bit longer to fix the problem, it’s one of the best ways to ensure the entire area is completely dry.
Call the Experts
The only way to thoroughly remove mold and ensure it never comes back is by calling the professionals, like Mold Solutions. Only they can do a proper inspection and get rid of the problem.
Use Preventive Measures
Unless we take some precautions and employ preventive measures, the mold will almost certainly come back. We should check all of our downspouts and gutters to ensure that nothing is blocking them. Also, we can update our ventilation systems in the problem areas around our homes.
What Not to Do
There are a few things that we can do that will only make our mold problem even worse and make it more challenging to get rid of later.
Hold off on Calling for Help
To start, we might think about putting off calling the professionals, but that’s a huge mistake. When left untreated, mold will continue to grow, and it can take over entire rooms in our home.
Attempt to Remove It All Ourselves
It’s not a good idea to try most DIY mold-removal solutions that we see online. That’s because those weren’t written by industry professionals, and the advice isn’t sound most of the time.
What’s more, most of these DIY solutions only take care of the symptoms and not the root of the problem. Also, we should stay away from using bleach because it can make the mold grow even faster.
Use a Fan to Ventilate
There are countless articles online suggesting to dry the damp and wet areas in our homes with fans, but that’s a huge mistake. If those spots have black mold on them, by turning the fan on, we’re just spreading the spores even more quickly.
Having black mold in our home, albeit exhausting, isn’t the end of the world. As long as we react right away and call the professionals, there’s nothing to worry about. They can get to the root of the problem and employ solutions to ensure the mold doesn’t come back.
So if you or anyone you know has a black mold problem, don’t hesitate to call Mold Solutions. We’ll be at your doorstep as soon as possible and help you rid yourself of this pesky fungus.