Mold and mildew are infestations that can occur in a home. Whether you’ve already suffered at their hands, or you just need some advice on how to avoid them, here are some quick tips for keeping your house safe.
All types of mold and mildew thrive in warm and humid environments. So, the key to stopping them is proper ventilation in your home. That is especially the case with moisture-prone areas such as basements, attics, and crawlspaces.
Generally, acceptable levels range between 30% and 50%, depending on where you live. So, try to keep it within this range at all times.
Mold can occur if your current fan is not powerful enough to keep your humidity levels in check. For most regular bathrooms, figuring out the correct fan capacity is quite simple.
Namely, just multiply your bathroom square footage by 1.1, and the number you get is the capacity you need.
As annoying as it may sound, you should remove the excess water from your shower walls immediately after you’re done using it. You can use a cloth or a squeegee, depending on what’s easier for you. That way, you’ll prevent any potential mold from forming in the lingering moisture.
If you notice mold anywhere inside your home, make sure to clean it up as fast as you can.
The use of soap and water is the safest way to remove mold and mildew. You can also try vinegar because of its natural acidic properties which are known for killing mold. Spray vinegar on the affected area and allow to soak for a few minutes, before rinsing with water to gradually lessen the smell.
You can repeat this process if needed until the mold is gone.
Alternatively, you can wear protective gear and apply a diluted cleaning solution of hydrogen peroxide and water. Mix the water and hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and soak the area where mold is growing. Scrub the area thoroughly to eradicate the mold stains and finish by wiping clean with soap and water.
In areas that are especially prone to mildew, you can use a special mildewcide paint. It is usually quite effective in combating and preventing surface mildew, so you’ll have an extra layer of protection.
When you notice a leak or any type of water damage in your home, you have to act quickly. Shut off the main water valve immediately and do your best to remove the excess water from your home.
In the meantime, call a water damage remediation service for immediate assistance if the leak is too big for you to dry on your own.
After water damage has occurred, do not wait too long to start the drying process. So, go in as soon as the area is deemed safe, and get to ventilating and drying everything as quickly as you can to prevent mold and mildew.
If you’re dealing with a large amount of mold, contact Mold Solutions right away. We will be happy to discuss a solution to your mold problem.